Thread: Accountability
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tommyh
It`s ok to stay sober

thank you Liz
when I resort to name calling or throwing insults at someone,it is just a sign of MY immaturity.These 2 threads by Tomas remind me of how I used to react to guys and gals like Tomas.I resorted to name calling,insults,etc.I was refusing to grow up and take on responsibility for my life and the things I should be doing.I was still playing the little helpless victim,trying to dodge accountably
and
I did not show anyone any respect in life until AA taught me how to.It is in the giving of respect that one gets more respectful of others.If no one ever respects me,thats fine,that does not change the fact I should be respectful of them.

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
I've just read through the other thread and some of it got me laughing.

I think a lot of it is just a reaction to the idea that as alcoholics it is impossible for us to 'cure ourselves'. This is why I believe AA may not work for a lot of people. I mean come on, who really wants to surrender? Who wants to admit complete defeat and become dependent on something we can't see? (A higher power) It goes against every human emotion we have and the need to be independent.

This may seem a paradox since this thread is titled accountability but I think it is the truth. Recovery is full of paradoxes.

I am also rather disgusted that members think it is ok to resort to name calling or personal insults towards another member, who has been sober at least 10 times longer than any of us.

Please, have some respect.
And if your response to this request, is why should I when he has none for us (or me) and you are coming on here and struggling with staying sober, you may want to examine that attitude - it may have something to do with it.