View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to SR. You mentioned feeling lost, well, to quote the song Amazing Grace, " . . . I once was lost, but now I'm found . . . " Once I realized and surrendered to the fact that I cannot drink like "normal people," I no longer felt lost.

I found myself and realized what the root of 99% of my problems was from when I walked into the rooms of AA. Now, I am not trying to tell you that AA is the only way. But for me, being around others who knew exactly how I felt, listened but didn't patronize, offered solutions and showed me the way is one of the reasons I am alive today.

SR is a fantastic support system. You have taken the first step towards changing your life and not losing that beautiful wife and son. Many of us come from families of drinkers, some that can drink socially and others whose families have alcoholics who have the same problems we do. Just take things one step at a time. . . the first thing is to stop drinking. We'll take care of the other things later. Don't overwhelm yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day so surely we can't expect to rebuild our lives in a day.

Keep reading, sharing and remember, you are NOT alone.

God Bless,
Judy