Old 02-20-2002, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
in the dumps

Exclamation TO ALL WHO ATTEND AL-ANON MEETINGS, PLEASE HELP MY WIFE !!!

HI all on the AL-ANON board.

I am a recovering alcoholic / addict.
I have had an alcohol problem for approx 10 years. My wife has had to deal with this for approx 6 years. The first few years were not to hard on any of us. However, alcoholism is a progreesive disease. It got worse over the last few years. I quit drinking Feb 2001, relapsed Mar 2001, relapsed again July 2001. Picked up narcotics Aug 2001. I have been tapering off and expect to be clean by the week-end. I have been attending AA meetings everyday for approx 1 month. I feel that I am starting to get better.

Now you know my history so here is how I need your help.

My wife has had to deal with this problem without any help from anyone. I also have 2 kids aged 2 1/2 and 6. I think AL-ANON would be very helpful to my wife but she is not interested in going to a meeting.

I would really appreciate it if you could give some explanations on what an AL-ANON meeting is like, how it can help her, how you were before AL-ANON and how things have changed (for the better I hope) I would never force my wife to go to a meeting, I would never even tell her to go. I have brought it up a couple of times like this "Why don't you try going just once just to see what it is like." She was not interested. I think she really needs the help and support.

I would like you to reply so I can print out a copy of the replies and let her read it. But I still won't push it on her. She may not even want to read the replies. I'm just trying to help her.

Please help me to help my wife. I am taking the steps to become clean and stay clean and sober. I think she should take the steps to deal with the problems that I have caused to her, myself and the kids.

Please Reply

in the dumps -- slowly recovering

P.S. Thank-you in advance for any replies.