View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Finding a job is tough. You not only have to make contacts, you have to followup on those contacts, set up interviews, prepare resumes, and send thank-you notes. You have to be polite and punctual and motivated.

Making contacts is not getting a job.
It is a step - to be followed by many more steps in a timely fashion.
Do not get sucked into the notion that taking one step = meeting your needs.
Your needs are still there, still voiced, still unmet.
That's the reality.

Perhaps setting a personal, unspoken timeframe for this situation would be helpful. I mean, if it REALLY is a deal-breaker-completely-unacceptable situation for you if he continues to coast along without working, how long are you willing to wait to see the job emerge?

3 months?
6 months?
2 years?

I don't think that you need to share this information with him. It is an internal decision about how much lone financial responsibility you are willing to bear. Set your internal timeframe - go back to your separate residence and quietly watch what ensues.

If you say to yourself "If he hasn't found full-time employment in 3 months, then I will divorce," you give yourself 3 months of freedom from the daily "what's he doing, where's he posting, who's he calling" nightmare. You get to wake up everyday for 3 months and NOT think about whether or not he is employed!

Then, if the day circled in red on the calendar rolls around, and he doesn't have a job, you can decide what you want to do (after all, he wasn't even aware that the timeframe existed).
Another extension? Maybe you still want to be married? Maybe the job thing wasn't such a big deal afterall?
Or maybe you see his lack of action and can honestly, genuinely say, "I do not want to be married to you."

Time brings clarity.

-TC