Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JenT1968

hmmm..... not sure...

I see this forum as a space to help those who are affected by anothers drinking. Many of those people (including me) will have mental health issues brought about by/exacerbated by living with someone who is addicted. I don't think the two issues are as unconnected as twelve step programs would like to believe sometimes. (its not as though people are discussing their bipolar or BPD diagnoses is it?) depression and anxiety in some models would be seen as a logical response to living in chaos and beleiving you are trapped there.

This may be the place people feel safest to talk about things, where you know the "styles" of posters etc, this may be especially true if you have mental health issues and are therefore more fragile?? I have started to venture into the mental health forum, but it isn't as fast-moving as here.

Also, although I am happy to talk to other people with PND about PND or other people with social phobia/anxiety about that, my anxirty/depression that I had previously that directly related to AH/my living situation: well, I'd like to talk about that with other peopl who have lived with an alcoholic and had depression/anxiety, not necessarily with people with addiction problems and depression/anxiety (does that make sense??).

The "cure's for alcoholics" stuff, shouldn't be here IMO, but I can understand why F&F's would post it here: given our particular difficulties and other-focussed-ness!!

However, I am sure there are rules and whatever they are I am happy for them to be gently enforced. I'm just not that bothered by seeing other things here (as long as its not overwhelming)