View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
GiveLove

I understand perfectly what you're saying.

You have control over your drinking. But you don't have control over alcohol, which is much more than just what's sitting in YOUR glass.

I have power over the temperature of my house. That doesn't mean I control the temperature of the planet.

I have power over my car when I'm driving it. That doesn't mean I can control the car that careens out of nowhere and kills me.

I have power over my health choices. I can exercise, eat right, lift weights, and a hundred other things. But an aneurysm I might theoretically have in my brain doesn't give a damn about any of that. I'm powerless over it.

Admitting that I'm powerless over certain things is just a statement of fact, not an admission of weakness. It clarifies for me that line between action and futility....helps me to see that, sometimes, all the "doing" in the world won't make things better. Finding that balance point is a really valuable skill.

As you've seen, you can reword these steps to get around the semantics and allow you to move on with a clear heart.