View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JerseyGirl

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
If you're still thinking that because YOU can put down a drink without a second thought, an alcoholic should be able to just as easily (if properly threatened, pushed, reasoned-with) then you need to continue your research into this affliction in addition to working Al-Anon. That inability is what makes them alcoholics. They're wired very differently, sad to say.
No, not at all... not even close. I KNOW a lot of why I CAN control MY alcohol use is because I am NOT at the mercy of this disease. I know very well that he can't make the same decisions as I can when it comes to alcohol.

Which is why...I totally buy into HIS saying - I am powerless over alcohol...because indeed he is.

I am lucky enough to not be in that situation....partially because I am not afflicted with the disease....partially because of the decisions I have made (not everyone pulled over for a DUI or gets into an accident while driving drunk is necessarily a full blown alcoholic....but instead made some bad decisions...in some cases, not always)

But the words I am powerless over alcohol....as in first person I....that I struggle with.

I am powerless over the alcoholic in my life. OK

I am powerless over ABF's drinking. OK

I am powerless over alcohol. Can't get there.