View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
good morning Nice

(thats the only way i'll rember to pronounce it correctly....seems important to pronounce it right...)
Darn German words... haha. I put the pronunciation up there for other people. It's a weird word but I thought it might help folks read it more easily.

Well... today it really started to hit me in a big way that no drinking and no drugs means no friends. I had such a fun and active social life. Before I was drinking and drugging I could make friends with anyone and now I am out of practice. I don't know where to go to hang out and meet people other than bars. My best friend moved almost 200 miles away and is doing a great job cleaning up from doing drugs, and working 12-hour shifts 6 or 7 days per week so I hardly get to talk to him.

I have two friends left locally. There's one girl who is really trying to be my friend, she's a nice person but she's impulsive, loud, and crude to the point of being embarrassing. She reminds me of myself at age 14 or so, but she's in her mid-twenties. It makes me limit my time with her. My other local friend's new roommate (his cousin) makes me so uncomfortable I won't hang out at their apartment. They drink, but my friend has never pressured me to drink; his new roommate has though. The new roommate keeps loaded guns and a small pharmacy with enough Rx pain killers and anti-depressants to kill a small army (oxycontin, hydrocodone, methadone, tramadol, seroquel, oxycodone, lexapro, xanax, etc. I can't even remember them all), and drinks about half a bottle of vodka every night. Basically, I really miss my buddy but his roommate makes me worry for a) my sobriety, and b) my physical safety. So unless I can convince him to put down the beer and leave his apartment, I guess I won't be hanging out with him.

It's a lonely road, this sobriety thing.