What in the world...?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never settle.

What in the world...?

I'm so proud right now, 2-and-a-half weeks substance-free! That's the longest since August.

I'm a bit puzzled though. I woke up this morning with bloodshot eyes, a hell of a headache, exhausted, thirsty... basically, a hangover. But I did not drink or do any drugs for the preceding 2.5 weeks. I showered, drank some water, dragged myself to work 45 minutes late (luckily I was solo in the office today so the only indication anything was wrong will come when my boss totals my time, and frankly as long as my job is done, which is it, she does not care), slept in the office for an hour, and finally was able to join the living. After work I dragged my sorry self and my dog on a 3-mile walk around a lake and I finally felt a little better.

So.... has anyone else experienced this? I was drinking plenty of water so I don't think it was just dehydration.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Funny you should mention that! I had a similar thing this morning - real sharp pain right behind the eyes and forehead, thirsty, groggy, etc. Felt exactly like a hangover. Get it occasionally and not sure why! Get paranoid that people will think i've had a drink when i haven't - been sober about 4 months or so now. Weird.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

WTG Gneiss.

Can't say I've woke up with symptoms of a hangover wile being sober. Sounds like you had fatigue or something that morning.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I have experienced this. Fake hangovers are fairly common if you can believe that. I would still see your Dr on it but please go see someone with a specialty in addictions, not just a GP.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Yes I have experienced this. Fake hangovers are fairly common if you can believe that. I would still see your Dr on it but please go see someone with a specialty in addictions, not just a GP.
I had no idea. Thanks for the advice. Anyone know why it happens?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No ideas, but my Dr heard of it and gave me a website or two to look at but that was 4 years ago. Try googling for it you'll likely find it.

By the way, is your handle related to gneiss the rock? (I was a geology minor in college).
Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Never settle.

By the way, is your handle related to gneiss the rock? (I was a geology minor in college).
To answer your question: yes. I was a geology major in undergrad, and now studying paleontology in grad school.

Couldn't find much about false hangovers on Google.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I have blood-shot eyes nearly all the time, either due to soap from showering to possibly high blood pressure to too much sugar. Oh yeah, and I'm stressed out much of the time...and I'm tired...

Could be from a lot of different things...if it's bothering you a lot, please see a doc.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wish I had known about your academic specialities last month you could have helped me with my geology assignment, all basic stuff but I'm a bit out of practice.

Do you know anything about chemistry? lol

Bam how did the heart monitor thing go?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

I was thinking - perhaps it could be a migraine?

"migraine" was an excuse i used a lot when too ill with a hangover for work... But ironically i don't think i ever experienced a real one.

Perhaps when sober if someone suffers a migraine it feels similar to a hangover? Just a thought!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I blamed all my drinking symptoms on pancreatitis and dieabedis...now those things were real, but it covered all sorts of things including the almost passing out and staggering.

course since i quit drinking those things don't happen anymore.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Wish I had known about your academic specialities last month you could have helped me with my geology assignment, all basic stuff but I'm a bit out of practice.

Do you know anything about chemistry? lol
Sadly I am enrolled in my second geochemistry class this semester, having already taken general chemistry. :wtf2 I am actually not bad at it, but I can think of things I would rather do.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by allport View Post

Bam how did the heart monitor thing go?

Thanks for asking, allport.

Well, I have a lot of PVC's, but some are trigeminy. I guess that means every third beat is a hiccup? I'm not sure...but anyways, the doctor is trying to get any cardiologist willing to see a self-pay patient (me ).
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
I was thinking - perhaps it could be a migraine?

"migraine" was an excuse i used a lot when too ill with a hangover for work... But ironically i don't think i ever experienced a real one.

Perhaps when sober if someone suffers a migraine it feels similar to a hangover? Just a thought!
I have actual, real, honest-to-Your-Deity-of-Choice, diagnosed-by-a-doctor migraines. I have a medication I take when I start to feel one coming on. I have had them since I suffered a concussion when I was about 10 years old. I have a pretty stable set of symptoms including light and sound sensitivity, exhaustion, sinus congestion, nausea, moodiness, and my eyes "look weird," according to my mom and boyfriend. They are distinctly different from hangovers, for me. This might not be true of everyone.

My drink of choice was beer. The yeast used to ferment hops to make beer is high in B vitamin complex, which is a common trigger for migraines. While drinking, but before I started using drugs, I would get migraines relatively often. The worst ever was a morning after I had been drinking, I woke up with a stomach virus, a hangover, and a migraine and could not keep food down long enough to take the migraine medication.

Strangely, though I used migraines as an excuse when I was too high (or coming down) to go to class or dinner or work or whatever, I never got one the entire time I was using meth and coke. This is especially surprising to me because meth and coke interfere with your ability to sleep and I would commonly get migraines if my sleep schedule got messed up. I keep expecting to get a migraine because I have done things since quitting drugs that would normally cause migraines (like eating certain foods) but so far the migraines have not returned. How weird would it be if using meth cured migraines? Somehow I doubt this will be prescribed any time soon.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I once talked to a counselor who told me these "false hangovers" are the body's way of trying to get you to drink again. Think about it. One of the first things that probably went through your head was, if i am going to have a hangover, i might as well drink. Or, the other thing that could have gone through your head was, a beer would take this hangover away in a heartbeat. The body is really messed up if it wants something and it will do things to you to try and get it.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
I once talked to a counselor who told me these "false hangovers" are the body's way of trying to get you to drink again. Think about it. One of the first things that probably went through your head was, if i am going to have a hangover, i might as well drink. Or, the other thing that could have gone through your head was, a beer would take this hangover away in a heartbeat. The body is really messed up if it wants something and it will do things to you to try and get it.
I only managed to drink a beer to cure a hangover once; even at the depths of my drinking I could never handle a beer in the morning. I would get up, skulk off to work or class, and after I was done for the day I would get hammered. And for a long time I used that as my excuse. At first it was "I'm not an alcoholic. I function just fine without alcohol. I go to class and get my work done, I just like to have a beer (or 12) to relax afterward." Later on it became "So what if I am an alcoholic? I get my work done, and I like to drink. If that makes me a functional alcoholic, fine. It still does nothing to harm you."

I see what you mean and you (or your counselor) could be right. Cool theory. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Well, I have a lot of PVC's, but some are trigeminy. I guess that means every third beat is a hiccup? I'm not sure...but anyways, the doctor is trying to get any cardiologist willing to see a self-pay patient (me ).
Bamboozle,

Where are you? In the USA? I may be facing something similar - being a self pay patient. I never had any idea this would pose a problem.

Sorry I am not trying to hijack this thread but this really got my attention.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Meh. Hijack away. We've already covered geology, chemistry, and migraines. I take no offense at lively conversation.

While we are off-topic: Almost at 3 weeks now and glad to report the weird insane emotionality is fading away. I can usually be around normal people without wanting to smack them in the back of the head now. Yay!!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

good morning Nice

(thats the only way i'll rember to pronounce it correctly....seems important to pronounce it right...)
Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Bamboozle,

Where are you? In the USA? I may be facing something similar - being a self pay patient. I never had any idea this would pose a problem.

Yeah, I'm in the USA. I don't know if this will be a problem. I'll post updates as soon as I have them.

Sorry, back to the thread.