Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
putnam79

New here

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have never really talked about any of this stuff on any kind of board. Anyway, here's my situation: I have the world's greatest mom... when she's sober. When she drinks, she turns into a completely different person and can be truly nasty and mean. She's been struggling with alcoholism for the past 20 years (ever since she found out my father had been cheating on her for a long time). She recently got sober for four months, and I was so incredibly happy, but just recently she's relapsed. I am so torn and don't know what to do because I don't know if I should detach myself emotionally or run to her house and calm her down everytime she drinks. I'm 28 years old, and I live with my husband very nearby, and everytime she's upset and drinks, I feel this responsibility to go over there and help her. It's tearing me apart, though. I can't bare the stress of trying to constantly calm her down, and I can't bare the stress of wondering when she's going to call me needing help. I love her so incredibly much, and everytime she's sober, the thought of detaching myself seems crazy because she's so wonderful when she doesn't drink. It's just really hard to get through so many ups and downs with her. Her behavior is so unpredictable. The other piece is that I have a teenage sister living at home, and I feel a need to protect her and calm things down for her sake. Thank you for reading this and letting me vent.