View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
Let me alter your post just a wee bit ......

This is an unusual Saturday for me in that I usually would be working and so the day is full of new possibilities. I checked online this morning, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of bars are open on a Saturday.

However, it's bitter, bitter cold outside today, and has just started snowing hard. Normally I am not one to say "boo hoo, the weather's bad, I'm going to skip going to the bar." I take a small measure of pride in being a hell-or-high water attendee. Bear in mind that I don't have a car and getting to this bar is going to mean at least 20 minutes of walking in almost sub-zero temperature.

But today I'm also feeling utterly tranquil. I have plans to read this amazing book, try a new recipe, relax with some tea, construct a 'cat house' and do some home decorating. Basically, my serenity level ought to be pretty high today. I have no begging reason to drink

So what reasons can you suggest for or against going to the bar? Yay or nay? In three hours maybe I'll let you know my decision

What do you think your decision would have been?
I'm going to post 2 trains of thought here. What I have quoted above beautifully expresses what was told to me in early sobriety. I was told to put as much effort into my sobriety as I did my drinking. I live in Texas so obviously we don't get bitter cold but we do get torrential rains and I have this huge aversion to driving in the rain and to getting wet in general. Having said that I have many times braved torrential rain where you could hardly see out the windshield to get to the liquor store and sat in the car waiting for it to stop. If it didn't stop then I would say screw it and run in and get soaking wet because I wanted that alcohol more than I wanted to stay dry.

So when in early sobriety the torrential rains came and I wanted to skip a meeting my sponsor would ask me if that excuse would keep me from going to a liquor store. Needless to stay that my wet butt would be sitting in a meeting and end up better for it.

Now, for the other side of that. There are times when it is ok to have a day planned out and skip a meeting. If you have some sobriety time under your belt and don't feel irritable, restless and discontent then by all means enjoy your day. Just don't make a trend of it. We alcoholics have to try to find balance in our lives. I don't know about anyone other than myself, my husband, and my friends in the program but we tend to be all or nothing people. This is not normal. If you can take a day off and enjoy it great. Just don't take a month off.

Regardless of your decision, I hope you enjoy your Saturday and that it is a great sober one!!!

Hugs,
Kellye