Notices

Minor Dilemma - AA

Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

Minor Dilemma - AA

This is an unusual Saturday for me in that I usually would be working and so the day is full of new possibilities. I checked online this morning, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of meetings happen on a Saturday. I found one at a church where I often go another time during the week, and enjoy.

However, it's bitter, bitter cold outside today, and has just started snowing hard. Normally I am not one to say "boo hoo, the weather's bad, I'm going to skip my meetings." I take a small measure of pride in being a hell-or-high water attendee. Bear in mind that I don't have a car and getting to this meeting is going to mean at least 20 minutes of walking in almost sub-zero temperature.

But today I'm also feeling utterly tranquil. I have plans to read this amazing book, try a new recipe, relax with some tea, construct a 'cat house' and do some home decorating. Basically, my serenity level ought to be pretty high today. I have no begging reason or sobriety threatening situations at hand.

So what reasons can you suggest for or against going to the meeting? Yay or nay? In three hours maybe I'll let you know my decision.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

There might be someone at that meeting who needs to hear what you have to say today.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

For me one of the promises that constantly are fulfilled is that I have re-entered the main stream of life. This means the freedom to have a "tranquil day." I attend meetings to receive this gift and employ it often. Enjoy your "new found freedom."

It sounds as though you have a day planned that will yield positive results. Just one suggestion; I have no idea where you live, but here in Southern California, aside from being 83 degrees today, the city fathers discourage the construction of houses of ill repute. Unless you are talking about another type of "cat house."

Enjoy your day, you deserve it!

Jon
Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Are you certain the meeting is still operational?

Often the information on line is not current
sooo I suggest you contact Central Office or
another AA friend for up to date info.

You could...after varification...call someone to pick you
up for the meeting. That's how I get back and
forth to my meetings...I can no longer drive.

Just thinking what I would do before jumping out the door.
...It's 18 F here.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know you or how long you have been sober, but if you are in early sobriety, I would suggest bundling up and getting to the meeting. A nice invigorating walk, a meeting, and then perhaps you could ask someone for a ride home? You'll still have ample time to enjoy your recipe and other plans.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Thanks, everyone. I've decided it'll be fun to keep my final decision until 1 o'clock when I'd have to either split or stay (it's 10:20 in my time zone.) But so far you've already given me some good things I hadn't considered prior to posting.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Burrrrrrrrrrr it's sub zero here to with wind chill. I think it's too dangerous to go out walking in sub zero weather to a meeting or not. If you do go out make sure you layer and keep your hands and head covered. I think the meeting will servive without you and everyone will understand why you will not make a meeting if you decide not to go.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
This is an unusual Saturday for me in that I usually would be working and so the day is full of new possibilities. I checked online this morning, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of meetings happen on a Saturday. I found one at a church where I often go another time during the week, and enjoy.

However, it's bitter, bitter cold outside today, and has just started snowing hard. Normally I am not one to say "boo hoo, the weather's bad, I'm going to skip my meetings." I take a small measure of pride in being a hell-or-high water attendee. Bear in mind that I don't have a car and getting to this meeting is going to mean at least 20 minutes of walking in almost sub-zero temperature.

But today I'm also feeling utterly tranquil. I have plans to read this amazing book, try a new recipe, relax with some tea, construct a 'cat house' and do some home decorating. Basically, my serenity level ought to be pretty high today. I have no begging reason or sobriety threatening situations at hand.

So what reasons can you suggest for or against going to the meeting? Yay or nay? In three hours maybe I'll let you know my decision.
Let me alter your post just a wee bit ......

This is an unusual Saturday for me in that I usually would be working and so the day is full of new possibilities. I checked online this morning, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of bars are open on a Saturday.

However, it's bitter, bitter cold outside today, and has just started snowing hard. Normally I am not one to say "boo hoo, the weather's bad, I'm going to skip going to the bar." I take a small measure of pride in being a hell-or-high water attendee. Bear in mind that I don't have a car and getting to this bar is going to mean at least 20 minutes of walking in almost sub-zero temperature.

But today I'm also feeling utterly tranquil. I have plans to read this amazing book, try a new recipe, relax with some tea, construct a 'cat house' and do some home decorating. Basically, my serenity level ought to be pretty high today. I have no begging reason to drink

So what reasons can you suggest for or against going to the bar? Yay or nay? In three hours maybe I'll let you know my decision

What do you think your decision would have been?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I often try extra-hard to make meetings on bad weather days and holidays.

There might not be enough people there to carry the message otherwise.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
Let me alter your post just a wee bit ......

This is an unusual Saturday for me in that I usually would be working and so the day is full of new possibilities. I checked online this morning, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of bars are open on a Saturday.

However, it's bitter, bitter cold outside today, and has just started snowing hard. Normally I am not one to say "boo hoo, the weather's bad, I'm going to skip going to the bar." I take a small measure of pride in being a hell-or-high water attendee. Bear in mind that I don't have a car and getting to this bar is going to mean at least 20 minutes of walking in almost sub-zero temperature.

But today I'm also feeling utterly tranquil. I have plans to read this amazing book, try a new recipe, relax with some tea, construct a 'cat house' and do some home decorating. Basically, my serenity level ought to be pretty high today. I have no begging reason to drink

So what reasons can you suggest for or against going to the bar? Yay or nay? In three hours maybe I'll let you know my decision

What do you think your decision would have been?
I'm going to post 2 trains of thought here. What I have quoted above beautifully expresses what was told to me in early sobriety. I was told to put as much effort into my sobriety as I did my drinking. I live in Texas so obviously we don't get bitter cold but we do get torrential rains and I have this huge aversion to driving in the rain and to getting wet in general. Having said that I have many times braved torrential rain where you could hardly see out the windshield to get to the liquor store and sat in the car waiting for it to stop. If it didn't stop then I would say screw it and run in and get soaking wet because I wanted that alcohol more than I wanted to stay dry.

So when in early sobriety the torrential rains came and I wanted to skip a meeting my sponsor would ask me if that excuse would keep me from going to a liquor store. Needless to stay that my wet butt would be sitting in a meeting and end up better for it.

Now, for the other side of that. There are times when it is ok to have a day planned out and skip a meeting. If you have some sobriety time under your belt and don't feel irritable, restless and discontent then by all means enjoy your day. Just don't make a trend of it. We alcoholics have to try to find balance in our lives. I don't know about anyone other than myself, my husband, and my friends in the program but we tend to be all or nothing people. This is not normal. If you can take a day off and enjoy it great. Just don't take a month off.

Regardless of your decision, I hope you enjoy your Saturday and that it is a great sober one!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Since a meeting isn't going to take up all of your day, you could probably get most of what you'd like to do and still do a meeting, right? I'd never suggest someone should go out and walk in unhealthy conditions, but I would suggest picking up the phone and calling someone to ask for a ride. You get a meeting; he or she gets the gift of service. You both win!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

In the end, I made the decision not to go.

I thought about that "would you go to the liquor store?" question, and in the pre-recov days I sure would have! I often mull over that question, because obviously you have to be more dedicated to staying sober than you were to drinking. However, the weather being what it is, I think just because I'd be crazy enough to go out for alcohol could not inevitably justify being crazy enough to go out for a meeting. Right about the time I'd have needed to leave it was coming down like a blizzard. I wouldn't even want anyone driving my way as it was.

Thankful to be warm, thankful to be sober.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thankful to be warm, thankful to be sober.
Me too....
I've also noticed you have been sharing often with us today
that's a very good produtive thing to do too!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think just because I'd be crazy enough to go out for alcohol could not inevitably justify being crazy enough to go out for a meeting.

Sounds like recovery in action to me - hope you've enjoyed yr Saturday

D
Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yeah, it's been a while since I posted regularly. Life got distracting I suppose; I forgot how much of a comfort and a sober-positive thing it is to come on here, if only for something as small as congratulating someone on an anniversary.

Also, my sponsor has been on my case for stalling on finishing my 4th step, so I'm trying to whip up a little extra motivation!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My home group meets on Mon and Thursdays. Last Thursday the power went out, nearly pitch black in that church basement, and hardly a beat was missed... people took out their cell phones, lighters, whatever, and we kept sharing like nothing happened.

It was a trip...
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's something I try to do. If I'm skipping a meeting I will try to get on here for a bit or on the phone with my sponsee so at least I'm doing SOMETHING recovery related. My RAH doesn't count because I'd talk to him whether I go to a meeting or not ROFL!!!

I'm glad you made a decision that felt good to you and hope you enjoy your Saturday!

Kellye
Old 01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I can skip a meeting and still dive into the program.
Thursday I did not have any work.I sat down and did a inventory for 3 hours,quite a stack of stuff.Did some praying before,during and after.I call this my yearly housecleaning,and my head feels so much quieter and better.It also strengthens my relationship with my HP.
Things like this helps us to be better equipped to help out when we do go to meetings or find a newcomer.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
My home group meets on Mon and Thursdays. Last Thursday the power went out, nearly pitch black in that church basement, and hardly a beat was missed... people took out their cell phones, lighters, whatever, and we kept sharing like nothing happened.

It was a trip...
Hey Cubile, our group actually has a candlelight meeting on Friday nights at 10:00pm. All lights out, a few candles lit. From what I hear it's pretty awesome as it somehow allows for less inhibitions when sharing. I have never gone to one although I've said for over 4 years I was going to.

Kellye