Thread: need advice
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
openheart

Thanks to you all! When he finally came home last night, he blamed our relationship for his relapse, saying that he finally figured out that because he's so stressed (b/c of our relationship) that he hangs on for as long as he can (the past 2 years - even though we only just got married, at his insistence less than 2 years ago) until he cracks (no pun intended) & then relapses.

So - now his plan of action is to not get professional help or go to any meetings - he's simply going to leave. He's gone. He wants to stay but he won't say it - he'll just spout out reasons why we "aren't compatible" & how "neither one of us will ever change", etc. etc. etc...

I've actually figured it out because he does this about 2 or 3 times a year (w/ or w/o the drugs). He simply wants me to provide a reason for him to stay...& every time he decides that "this is it" & "he can't be with me anymore", he always ends up coming back or never leaving in the first place.

Most times when this happens, he is not using, so I usually relent - I think to myself that our relationship is worth saving (mostly b/c of the kids but also b/c we do truly love eachother) & I do provide him with a plan of action that we can take in order to begin to mend the troubles with our relationship (which really aren't that severe, outside of the addiction). Now, I don't beg him to stay but I will offer up different avenues that are available that we haven't gone down yet & this seems to pique his interest enough into staying.

Honestly, it feels like he needs the reinforcement from me that I think that our relationship is worth saving & why should he stick around if I don't even want to be with him, but he won't come out & ask it. I'm not saying that he sits around & thinks of ways to manipulate me but that this is entirely in his subconscious & this is the way this comes out of him.

So, b/c I think that he just wants the reinforcement from me, I typically will give it to him b/c I certainly don't want him to feel like I don't love him, or consider our relationship as valuable, etc.

This time is different b/c of the drugs. I find that if I react to him in the manner that I have (by agreeing with him that he should do what he needs to do in order to get himself off the drugs, even though I feel that his solution to leave the relationship is wrong & what he really needs is help by addressing the addiction), the tension just builds. He is too stubborn to admit that he's wrong but I truly feel that if he were able to "see the light" & determine that treatment is the best route if he wants to stay sober, that things could be different.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, obviously b/c I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish here.

I haven't had the opportunity to get to a meeting yet although I did find all the meetings that I would be available to go to if he were here at home, but instead, since he's not here, I am spending my evenings taking care of the kids...so...hopefully I will be able to find the time to get to a meeting one day this week. I think they could really help.

Thanks again to you all for your advice!