Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Taking5

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
If you went to an AA meeting, and from what you've told us about your drinking.. I would be willing to bet that you'd find people with not as serious of a condition as yourself too . Many of them in fact.
I have been in AA 4 years and I have to agree with Flutter on this.

I guess I'm a little frustrated and disappointed because I just want to be a normal person who can drink socially, I don't want to accept something I don't have to.

So, meant only to be loving and helpful, not to beat you up, lets recap what you have said about yourself:

1) You have trouble controlling the amount you drink
2) When you do you normally have blackouts
3) Your drinking has severely affected your relationships
4) You Dr and Counselor - Professionals who went to multiple years of college - have told you are alcoholic
5) You reject AA because (with no investigation on your part) you judge AAers to be worse off than you
6) You think your BF is over reacting and your actions are "normal"
7) You want validation that you don't share the same symptoms as an alcoholic, instead you just "can't handle your booze"

What else do you need to add to this list to consider that maybe, just maybe, your BF, Dr and counselor are right?

We have a thing in AA called a YET.

I haven't lost a job from alcohol.....YET
I haven't gotten a DUI.....YET
I haven't been hospitalized from alcohol.....YET

Trust me, as someone that has had all 3 of those YETS happen, you don't want to go there.

Alcoholism is progressive; an Alkie will need to drink more, and more often, to get the same kick out of the drinking. The YETS are also progressive.

OK I'll put away the whip now, but please go get help.

We're all here if you need us.