View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rosygirl
love rules without rules

Smile

Hi bloodshot,

First of all, kudos on making the decision to stop drinking. it is the best one you will ever make. I am an alcoholic who is also living with a social drinker. When I came home from treatment in September, he had gotten all the booze out of the house and did not drink in front of me anymore. He went out with his friends if he wanted to drink, but he respected that I could not handle being around it for a couple of months. Now I am okay with him drinking a glass or two in front of me, but only after being sober about 6-7 months. We still don't keep it in the house, he is very respectful of that.

If your SO is a 'social drinker,' he will have no problem stopping drinking in front of you. I would think it would be nearly impossible to get sober while someone you live with is still drinking. like I said, I was sober 6-7 months before ANYONE drank in front of me.

your sobriety is the most important thing because if you don't have it, you will eventually lose everything. I know it is hard to put sobriety in front of a relationship, but your relationship won't be any good if you are an active alcoholic.

My advise: ask him to stop drinking at home around you and see what he says. If he refuses, he doesn't really care about you ro your sobriety and you need to rethink the relationship.

Also, start going to AA, you will meet the coolest people who know what you're going through, won't judge you and will give you honest input.

I wish you the best.