Thread: Need hugs
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dor5711

Still Waters ---

He says he wants to go to college because he wants a good job and he knows he needs at least a 2 years degree.......but I don't think he has any idea what he wants to do. He started the first semester in liberal arts and then changed to Radio and Television Production --- he did that in HS and really enjoyed it. Two weeks ago he told his father he wanted to start his own business and that's fine but he has no business background. So they go to the college and try to enroll him in business courses. I take a look at that schedule and ask how he expects to do well in business when he couldnt pass freshman seminar (not in those words). So we regroup and say how about you take only 2 or so classes in the liberal arts core curriculum. Since he will need the core courses in any major that he decides on. I think that is still the plan but he and I need to sit down by the end of the weekend and figure out what classes he will take........definitely Freshman English since he didn't pass that. Also thought a gym class might be good. I also told him he needs to make a decision on whether or not he even wants to go to school now. The big problem is that he does not communicate. We didn't know he was failing until December. He refuses to accept any help from anyone. And since he is 18, we cannot force the issue.

Are there any forums like this that help to deal with teens???????? Especially 18 year olds?

Dor