Thread: Is there hope?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mark75

Yes, there is hope for your father's recovery. How far are you and your family willing to go?

There are non punitive voluntary recovery programs for licensed health care professionals. Medical/Dental societies in many states manage and administer these programs (NOT, repeat, NOT the state board of dentistry - they have voluntary recovery programs also, but stakes get high...).

If he were referred to them, it would be confidential. It would in all likelihood involve a rehab stay, outpatient aftercare and monitoring. Ramifications of this would be a permanent medical record of alcohol dependency and the need to perhaps, report this to insurance companies, 3rd party payors, etc... Costs of the rehab and monitoring would be his (health insurance, if he has it, may cover some or all of the rehab...). But if he is not working steady, if he gets into recovery, and he works more and more efficiently, it will pay for itself.

The Good News... The success rate of these programs is VERY high. Probably because the stakes are so high. I think the success rate is two to three times average, maybe more.

These programs, I believe, accept referrals from families. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE research this thoroughly if you are even remotely considering such a bold move. If you feel he is practicing impaired, you may doing the public a good service. And, as I said, they work.

It is voluntary so your dad might refuse and I don't know what could happen if it came to that....

PM me if you want...