View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Lilyflower
Recovering Codependant

I take comfort in the fact that everything is always changing. It is good to know that when times are hard, they will come to their own end - one way or another, and if times are good I appreciate them for what they are and do not take things for granted.

Throughout everything though, I know the only thing that will bring about the end of me, is well, the end of me! That may sound macarbe, but no matter what life throws at me, it won't kill me. When all has come and gone, I will still exist.

I used to wish certain things had never happened to me, that my life had been different, better in a lot of ways etc.

Interesting where we find the words of wisdom that are life changing for us, I found one while reading Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Filled with wizards and wise elves yet ordinary 'mortals' too, a few lines between two characters (hobbit and wizard) jumped out at me;

'' 'I wish --- had never come to me, I wish none of this had happened'.
'So do all who face such times, but that is not for them to decide. All that is left to them is what to do with the time that was given them' ''

It hit me like a ton of bricks, all my life I had heard myself say that line, 'I wish this had never happened', but never had I heard such a response to it. Even now, when I hear that thought pop into my mind, Tolkien comes back at me with his wisdom.

Can we make plans? Yes - life is about hopes and dreams, yet also balanced with patient acceptance, humility and forgiveness. I plan and dream all the time, yet I am now much more accepting that if things don't go my way, it is still alright. Every time I face disappointment or when my emotions are stirred, it highlights for me an obstacle I have to my own inner peace. Perhaps I need to develop more patience, love or compassion - these things I have found counter balance any anger frustration and hurt.

To keep my serenity, I have begun to understand that I need to apply/strengthen the opposing emotion to my negative feelings. When I do this and practice the balance, I don't feel uneasy and happiness and peace naturally rise up in me.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx