Thread: Day 1 - Again
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ExNavyInHouston
Drunkaholic

Originally Posted by Brightening View Post
Day 6 here, and welcome. This site has given me some much-needed venting and support this week. Not going back now...

I throw the support right bakatcha! I know the psychological importance you are going to feel when you say "a week ago" when you talk about it tomorrow on Day 7.

Originally Posted by Brightening View Post
I'm real secular and don't dig the meeting thing (not to say others haven't been helped tremendously by them). Reading about AVRT (google it) helped me a lot. I, like you, didn't drink what I would describe as an awful lot...just wine, and always at night.
I'm much the same. I already beat you to the AVRT thing and I really like the "positive" aspects of the message of that man.

Having said that, I have nothing but respect for those who find their way in other programs. I have done those too - I have seen it help change the lives of many people. Whatever works - right?

I may have not typed it correctly, but I think I did drink a lot. Besides 7 Days a week, I would typically exceed 6 units every time. Most of the time average near 10 or more.

Last Christmas someone gave me one of those little tiny wine fridges that holds about 15 bottles. I shoveled bottles into it like a train engineer tosses coal into the fiery engine of a steam train.

I know quantity is highly individual, and someone who used to drink two liters of vodka a day or a case of beer would pat me on the top of head as though I was in the minor league. But I get what you are saying for sure.

For me, it was all about the next morning. I hated that sick feeling. I despise the insecurity and small feelings of not remembering what you have done, or regretting the things you could remember. I was getting to where I couldn't stand the way a 5 - 12 hour drinking binge could cost me 24 following hours in feeling sick. So sick that I couldn't even get a new drink in me to help kill the hangover.

I was gauging brands of wine and their quality on some fictional measurement of how much of a buzz did I feel after the first bottle. Did I need to finish a second one to have the "just right buzz?" Or did I need a couple hard liquor drinks to top it off.

Out in public, I was either into Guinness or Scotch. But those all changed over time as I gave the same ******** lies to myself we all do about, switching liquors because of the way they gave us a buzz or how sick a binge on one of them made you sick the next day.

The "beast" was definitely up in my ear, thanking me for making sure my hands were full and ready to serve him.

Now Day 2 is officially here.

As I wrote earlier, I woke up at midnight last night on my couch after a 2 hour period of sleep. I had moved on to the Director's Audio comments on a movie call "Bug" (directed by William Friedkin - The Exorcist/French Connection). It has so many addiction references it was like being in a Tsunami of everything you can do wrong to yourself.

So, then my insomnia kicked in and I studied the internet having a 5-hour meeting in research and coming back here posting and looking for threads where my life experience made me feel qualified to comment.

I did sleep from 5:30 until 10 AM and here I am now.