Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

waterface,

You spoke about "rock stars" that stopped. Read Eric Clapton's book, you may see how he addressed the issue and how he still addresses it. Tazman, I, and a whole bunch more use the same method to stay sober. I too had elevated liver enzymes and the idea of dying just wasn't a good option.

Sorry to be blunt and not all touchy feely, but in a few words; If drinking is more important than living, KEEP DRINKING! We all have choices; you seem to be choosing booze.

You make reference in some of your posts that you need a "motivation." I have watched way too many people talk about the problem and then do nothing about it. Clinics and medication are a MEANS of stopping; they are not the answer that comes from within. I have a brother who went through three very expensive and extensive treatment facilities and always waited for them to fix him. The fourth one "ALSO DISAPPOINTED HIM" and so as he waited for a better treatment program he went home and drank himself into a stupor, fell down the stairs in his condo and broke his neck.

He hasn't had a drink for three years now, he can't grip a glass or bottle and he is so doped up with pain killers that he doesn't need booze anymore. I guess being a quadriplegic is one way to stop!

If my post offends, pass me by, I really am not trying to insult you, in fact I have no intention to do anything other than plainly state the facts. If alcohol is creating problems in your life, then you have an alcohol problem. If you really don't want the problems you will have to get rid of the source. It is in your hands and there is a way out if you want it.

I wish you the very best and will be more than happy to share with you my story if you want to private message me. The way that I have chosen is one of many, but it has kept me sober for the past nine plus years and continues to work as long as I put in the effort. My life is very good, I enjoy a wonderful social circle of friends, most of who are drinkers, but not alcoholics like me. I am single and on a good day can still get dates with women who also drink and in fact I operate in the “outside” world quite well, so if a fear of deprivation and loss of contact is what keeps you from addressing the issue, rest assured many of us live MUCH MORE COMPLETE AND FULFILLED LIVES than we did when we drank.

Jon

Last edited by Jfanagle; 12-19-2008 at 12:47 PM.