Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mark75

Hi

My mother is coming for a visit. Haven't seen her, I think, since thanksgiving '07... I've got lots of resentments about choices she's made... Leaving my father, remarrying and then re-divorcing for financial reasons, moving as far away from family to places that made no sense, passing me a joint when I was 12.

I was the oldest, the golden boy. Couldn't do any wrong.

I was in rehab from sept to november this year. I wrote her one letter so she'd here it from me. Haven't written or talked since, and that one letter was probably the only contact we've had since thanksgiving '07.

My rehab and recovery will, of course, be the elephant in the room. Frankly, I don't want to talk about it because I don't feel I will be able to keep my resentments to myself, where they need to be this year. I also, really, could give a sh*t how she feels about it. My therapist said, that if it comes up, to tell her that he told me not to talk about it, and that's what he recommends.

Lot's and Lot's of alcoholism/addiction on both sides and within my family. We have some success, though... My dad was 24 years before he died, my brother 23...

Good luck. You can break the mold and be sober, I see that you really want it. Maybe your uncle didn't...

Mark.