Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jh1

Hey strongbird like others have said the most important thing now is to focus on you and that's it. Your trying to stay sober and that's enough to worry about. Personally, I can relate directly to this and if it were me I wouldn't say anything-holidays are good times, u knowing your mom and how she'll react might put a dampen on what is supposed to be good times. My mom is has also been very protective of me and she kind of figured in high school i go out and drink a bit with friends because of those late nights id try to sneak in and couldnt quite find the doorknob, lol. Then I went off to school and they knew i drank there, and i talk openly about it and have gotten buzzed with them before...but they have NO idea the extent of how much i drank through college and up till now. No idea. If my mom knew i could put down 15 drinks in a night, black out, and then wake up with barely any sleep and start again she would be extremely dissapointed. Looking back at how much of their money ive spent on booze and how many times ive lied to them about what im doing certain nights, etc. always makes me feel bad and is one of the main reasons for me to get sober. Anyways, i will never tell my mom or dad exactly how much i drank or what I did in college and other stuff. I believe there's definitely some things parents dont need to know- stuff that stays between me and my friends and thats how it will always stay.
I guess I would only tell your mom right now if you really need her support and help to beat the disease. Otherwise, i'd say keep it on the down low until you can really break through from drinking for awhile. i really dont think ill ever say to my parents im an alcoholic and hopefully I wont need to because Im strongly committed now to staying sober. But honestly GL with whatever you choose, it is your decision and no one knows your situation better than you, just my suggestions i guess. anyways , keep up the sobriety!