View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
shyQcodep

Re: Just figuring it out

I am in a position of wanting to quit drinking.
Hi Lost,

I started from the same place, but in my case it was driven by a deepening knowledge of my life's unmanageability - particularly finances, but it's really a pervasive unmanageability. I didn't initially see my alcohol and drug use as high enough to "qualify" for AA membership, but I could clearly see the unmanageability.

Now that I'm writing down my drunk-a-dope-a-logue for Step 1, I don't see my self as quite that highbottom any more . When I hit the recovery rollercoaster, the magnitude of that ride (which is still going as we speak ) told me that I was pretty well self-medicated before I stopped - moreso than I ever suspected.

I'll just add my personal favorite Big Book quote:

To be gravely affected, one does not necessarily have to drink a long time nor take the quantities some of us have. This is particularly true of women. Potential female alcoholics often turn into the real thing and are gone beyond recall in a few years. Certain drinkers, who would be greatly insulted if called alcoholics, are astonished at their inability to stop.
Thanks for showing up here, and keep coming back.

James