View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sugErspun

Originally Posted by Brandeeno View Post
Thanks for responding,

To answer your question, when it is my time to speak I take the time to explain my situation in detail and end the conversation with reason of me showing up in the first place.

I like to respond to questions and am very open to advice.

The problem I have is that after attending the meetings, I often drive home disgusted with myself and the meeting in general and find myself not wanting to go back.
If you are not being offered a solution to your problem - or being assisted in finding out what your problem is, find a new group. I am too well aware of these groups (as if getting together with a bunch of 'understanding' folks will lead to recovering from alcoholism).

What you describe, especially when you reach out and aren't being offered a hand to - is not AA, at least AA as I know it. Perhaps I am fortunate, that geographically, there are more meetings within 20 miles of my home than I could ever possibly attend - but I am sure a group that carries the message that the real alcoholic needs to hear to recover, is available to you. If not a group, than maybe a single person.

The meetings I regularly attend - you hear very little drinking stories (drunkalogs), complaining about life, circumstance etc. There is hope, joy, freedom -and a very clear message about what it takes to recover from this, to have the problem 'removed'. I go to other meetings (like those you describe) for a few reasons - one of which would be to find people who are dying and not being offered a solution (I think a lot of people are sold short on 'suit up and show up','dont drink no matter what' and other such generalizations with nothing backing it up).

Keep seeking - your answers will come.

~a