Thread: Ruined
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr B

TC, I am slowly learning that this kind of thing isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. I get the feeling you're looking at where you are, and comparing it to where you want to be, and feeling that you still have such a long way to go. But turn around and look at how far you have already come. Take personal pride in what you have achieved.

If you need a break from pushing yourself to improve all the time, take that break. Just spend some time enjoying life as it is for you right now. Sure, you may not be all the way to where you want to be, but there's still a lot to look around at and appreciate where you currently are.

Recovery like this isn't a climb up a mountain, with a clear summit that one will reach and think "Right, I've done that, I don't need to do it any more" at which point life suddenly becomes simple. I see it more like a journey across country from a dark, mountainous place to somewhere with rolling hills and more sunshine. You don't have a map, all you have is a compass. On that kind of journey, there'll never be a point which will mark the dividing line from the mountains to the hills. You'll only really appreciate the difference in hindsight. You'll never know when you get "there", because the compass will always be pointing on. And even when you're in the good place, there will still be up-hill bits and down-hill bits, sometimes the sun will go behind the clouds, sometimes it will even rain. Sometimes you'll take a turn that feels like the right way to go but you end up back-tracking a bit. That's ok. That's just life. It's still nicer than climbing dark mountains while avalanches are falling all around you and you can't see where you're going.

That's how I see it, anyway. Crucially, on a journey such as this it's important to, sometimes, take a break, smell the metaphorical flowers and explore where you are. Which direction you go from there generally becomes clearer and you'll feel refreshed and eager to continue.

Take care,
Mr B.