View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lila

Stay with addict boyfriend?

Hi - Im not really familiar with this but I just want as many opinions as I can get. My boyfriend is in rehab for snorting heroin and smoking pot. I get to talk to him on the phone when he calls, but the whole situation seems so unfair, especially that we talk at his discretion. Last time he called in the middle of the day while I was out in public wanting to talk about how he doesn't want to talk to me anymore unless I stop talking to my ex boyfriend. I have lied to him before about seeing and talking to this guy because of past reactions. I have accepted this was a mistake and have not and will not lie about it. I am a generally honest person. It is not that I cannot give up talking to this guy. I know that I want to be friends with him and he is not ready for friendship. But, I am really uncomfortable with ultimatums. I love my boyfriend, and I think the world of him. We have a great connection when we are together and we have a lot of fun!

I guess my ultimate question is this: this is the second time I have been absolutely blindsided by my bf's heroine use. I had no idea he was using. From what I can tell he is doing really well and wants to change. He has changed and its only been two weeks! I can tell by the clarity in his voice and speech. I guess the question is, am I kidding myself? Am I completely naieve? My family has history of alcohol and drug abuse, maybe I am just attracted to the familiar. Any suggestions would be much appriciated.