View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NortheastDrunk

Originally Posted by tyates View Post
Hi again. It's been awhile since my last post. Trying to stay sober on a consistent basis. Sometimes I can make it through the week without a drink but more than often I give in to the temptation on the weekends. I usually only drink in the evenings, but sometimes I get a early start if I'm really bored. I feel that part of them problem is that I relocated to a new city so I don't have a social circle I can kick it with. I hate to say it, but if it wasn't for alcohol, Fri-Sat evenings would really be depressing and boring. With a few drinks, I'm perfectly content at home watching tv or cooking.

I went to evening AA meetings during the weekends but it just made me more depressed going back home with nothing really exciting to look forward to. Tried a few meetup.com get togethers, but none of them meet on a regular basis and the one's that I was interested in were only held during the daytime.

I do have hobbies that I enjoy doing on the weekends, but nothing that can be done during the evening hours. I'd like to be able to just relax at home during the weekend evenings but I find that boredom sets in and next thing I know I'm heading to the nearby liquor store.
I am new here, but your comment reminds me of five years ago. While I do not have much experience in being sober, drinking alone is an unfortunate specialty...I too was bored like you. Five years ago, I took a job where I had two days off during the week, and worked on weekends. Screwed up my social circle because when I was off they were working and vice versa. We lost contact.

Anyway, to pass time on my days off, I too would drink. First it was just at nights, then it gravitated to early happy hours, then I eventually went to get lunch and have a couple beers. Soon, I was drinking bloody marys or screw drivers when I woke up. In a couple years drinking became all day events on my weekends. I am talking 10am to midnight with a couple hours of a nap like coma mid-day. All I eventually did was rent movies, surf the internet and get smashed. Every now and then, I would call up a local talk radio station and argue with the host for amusement. Real productive stuff.

All I can say, is GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. Even if its going to movies alone or taking day trips to parks far away. Ideally the best thing to do is get a hobby, join a club of the hobby, and meet people.

I know it sounds like a pain and you may be rolling your eyes, but if you don't the boredom WILL win out and in five years you too might be waking up to screw drivers. I am speaking from experience.