View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
littlefish

Tryingto, you have mentioned that you are young. At an AA meeting a while back we discussed some AA liturature, I think it was the little newsletter that is published. (the grapevine?)

Anyway, in that material we read about young people entering AA. The first edition of the Big Book described the average alcoholic as a very hard core drinker. The idea was that the typical drinker was older, had a tough history and had hit bottom in an extreme way.

Then it was realized that all alcoholics do not always fit this profile.

You don't have to be older or a hardcore drinker who has gone to the limits with your drinking to join AA. AA realized that there are alcoholics on all points in the spectrum and at all stages in their lives and at different stages in their drinking. AA later added special groups just for young people. (You might search your nearest AA website for young people's meetings, BTW).

When we discussed this there were three kids there in their early twenties and it was their first meeting. They were made to feel completely welcome. Nobody questioned the validity of their reasons for being at AA.
I personally am always glad to see younger people at the meetings because I think they have made choices I wish I had made sooner. I think they are smart and taking control of their lives, (so much earlier than I did), and I admire them!

so, I hope you don't think we oldsters are going to wave away your problems as less serious than ours. I for one certainly don't, and I haven't been to a single meeting where I've seen that happen.