View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am an alcoholic. In January of '79 when I was 33 1/2 year old, my parents said NO MORE. If I called they would hang up, if I came to the door it would be closed in my face and if I attempted to break in the cops would be called. And.............................THEY MEANT IT.

It took me 2 and 1/2 more years to find recovery and the last year and half I lived on the streets of Hollyweird, 3000 miles away from them. Only when I had reached my own 'saturation point' (or my bottom) was I ready for recovery, and then had to die in the process.

I believe what you see on "Intervention" is the family with the help of PROFESSIONALS bringing the persons 'bottom' sooner. And with many of the interventions, you will notice that many of them did relapse after rehab, before actually finding recovery. The knowledge and the tools they received in their rehab time, screwed up their drinking and using.

The parents have to decide what they are willing to tolerate and what they are not. Alanon and counseling for them can help them with this.

My mom and dad didn't go to alanon, they had just reached the end of their rope, and years later told me had they not done what they did, they were both going to end up in padded cells in the insane asylum. That's how bad it was.

Did I forgive them, you bet I did once in recovery. I was more fearful that they would never be able to forgive me, and of all the amends I had to make, that was the hardest. But, I am happy to say that I was able to have some really good times with both mom and dad before their individual demise.

So in my case, you bet TOUGH LOVE WORKED!!!!!!

You have my permission to print this post out and give it to them.

Love and hugs,