View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

Endings and beginnings

Today my daughter and her boyfriend were each moving out of their respective apartments and into a house together. It was sad to say goodbye to the little neighborhood and sweet town where she moved a year and a half ago following all kinds of drama when she decided it best to leave another relationship. (Good judgement on her part…his true colors were revealed once she tried to leave) She had to find a place quickly and HP led her to a wonderful place to heal and continue to grow in her recovery. He also led her to her BF, an amazing guy also with multiple years in recovery. So today brought joy too as they started a new path in their journey together.

The place they moved to is such a wonderful spot for them. The house is at least a hundred years old, hardwood floor in the living room and a wonderful carved banister...just steps from the river in a very quaint little city that has been undergoing revitalization. It is still at a crossroads – areas, like where they are, that are renovated and are beautiful neighborhoods, but not yet fully discovered and “yuppified” so prices are reasonable. All the homes around them are quite old and beautiful and they are just a block or two from a neat little downtown area. At the end of the street is an access point for the river, (I’m already making plans for my kayak next Spring, lol) ...a beautiful, tranquil place to go. A block up the river is the town library…how cool to be a stones throw from a library! Their place has a nice yard with a big evergreen tree and it is surrounded by an old black wrought iron fence - it even has the name of the blacksmith engraved in it.

The area has quite a few recovery houses and really solid NA programs. Many of the kids stay in the area as they grow in recovery and move out on their own, so several of their friends live within 2 or 3 blocks of them - it just seems perfect; I'm so very happy for them.

Several of their recovery friends and the parents on both sides helped out with the moves- we all actually had fun and tons of laughter in the process. I really enjoy all these kids…they are such a message of hope – such proof of how great life can be when you keep the focus on working a program.

So tonight I am especially grateful – for the wonderful things HP has brought to my daughter and her BF and for the joy they bring to my life.