View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Time for a personal intervention...

I guess I’m feeling a little guilty…I broke my sobriety of one week and drank yesterday. I needed to give myself a good scare again. Cross your fingers for me people. I’m crossing my fingers for you, too.

I'm a little stunned right now...

Just finished watching some clips about "Lawrence" from the Intervention series by A&E (even though I don't like the show because I think it exploits the people shown...but that’s for another post…[maybe]…). Thanks to whoever posted the link (crap, now I don’t know where it is…lost it!).

Anywho, it was hard to watch. I decided to do a little math and compare my worst with what they thought he was drinking on a daily basis. I was surprised with the numbers I got. Now, my math may be wrong (it certainly wasn’t my best subject), but I figured that drinking 1.5 liters of booze at 40% is only slightly higher in total alcohol content than 5 liters of wine at 11%. At my worst, I was fluctuating anywhere from 2.5-5 liters of wine a day. Ouch.

I still remember the mess my old apartment was…there were always several empty boxes thrown anywhere and everywhere. I used to laugh about it. And I used to think I was getting a good deal at the grocery store with boxed wine. Hmm…5 liters for 12 bucks American…sort of like going for the “all you can drink” special. I think that if I hadn't moved when I did I’d be dead now. I still have a long way to go towards recovery, but at least I’m not as bad-off as I was.

I know some of you are wondering when I'm finally going to quit. I'm hanging on and not giving up. Just keeping myself honest with this post...and giving sobriety another try TODAY.

Disclaimer: The amount of alcohol consumed by the individual is not always a reliable measuring stick for determining if one has a drinking problem. This post is merely a reflection of my experiences. Please don't think you're safe if you drink less.