Thread: There's Hope
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tryingveryhard

Thank you for your kind words. I never forgot the support you gave me when I thought I couldn't go on a moment longer. Now I hope I can do the same for you through my words of encouragement and hope.

Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday. I have it at my house and enjoy the cooking, great company and warmth. Last year, my son showed up stoned and drunk, proceeded to lie down on the couch and pass out, in front of everyone. I couldn't wake him up long enough to get him upstairs and he was literally dead weight, so carrying him was out. Not only did he take up seats people were sitting on, he became the centerpiece of the room. When we went to eat in the dining room, you could see him from the table. I was so sick to my stomach I couldn't eat.

This Thanksgiving, he is on his way home from California. He went to rehab there and decided to stay because as he puts it, he was "reborn" there. We visited him a few months ago and it's interesting to hear him espouse the teachings of AA. We told him how proud we are of him and how hard he works at his sobriety and he replied, "For today, I am sober." His "todays" will equal one year on January 23rd and my husband and I are flying to California to attend that special AA meeting.

I did learn something important from my son. He speaks often of his higher power and how his higher power has helped him through. I came to realize that there are just some problems that are far too big to handle by yourself. Addiction is one of them.

This Thanksgiving will be the best one we ever had. We have so much to be thankful for. We ordered a cake for him that says, "Welcome Back, Son." We're not just talking about geography. I can't wait to give it to him.