View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Just a guess, since I'm not your hubby, but he may not appreciate hearing all about your recovery and AA work because then the topic of conversation is still about you--your drinking or non-drinking in this case.

When my boyfriend was in early recovery, it was still all about him. I felt like I was never in the picture. Not when he was drinking and not when was newly sober. Alcohol ruled his life when he was an active alcoholic and AA ruled his life when he was in recovery. I was never a part of the equation.

I don't know how long your relationship with your husband has been or how long you'd been drinking, but Richard was drinking for 22 years and I was tired of playing second fiddle to his problems. Ultimately, I decided that the only way I could rid my life of his focus on drinking and then on recovery was to end my relationship with him.

I did forgive him and I never stopped loving him, but he'd done way too much damage to me and my daughter for me to ever forget what he put us through. Expecting him to find joy (or at least feel comfortable) in visiting a restaurant where you once drank frequently is expecting too much IMHO.

Why not make new memories in places where there are no hard feelings? If you need to go there in a sober state as part of your recovery, then perhaps you should do that without him. Just my .02.