Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OhBrother

she seems worse in recovery than she did in relapse

Have any family of addicts found that in the first couple of weeks of rehab, they actually seem to be doing worse than while they were using?
Its been about 2 weeks since my sister got back on methadone and seeing the doctor (who runs a clinic that deals with the phyisical addiction as well as offers counselling) she'd did rehab with the first time.
This time around she's a month pregnant, and her bf and I talked her into going back rather than her going because of some crisis like being arrested.

When she relapsed this summer and was using (oxy and percs), she actually seemed "fine". Went to work, was alert, came to family events even though she was driving her bf mad behind the scenes.
Now 2 weeks into rehab she seems sluggish, has bad moods, is missing a lot of work, etc.
I'm so used to assuming the worst with her now, that all kinds of paranoid ideas are going through my head: she's faking treatment, she's using on top of the methadone, its going to fail because she didn't hit a rock bottom this time, etc.
OR...maybe I only see this now because I'm closely monitoring her this time, and its all part of the process. Maybe its genuine morning sickness.
Did anyone else find that recovery brought worse before things got better?