Thread: There's Hope
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by Tryingveryhard View Post
A year ago, I came here, to this forum and poured my heart out to you. I spoke about my son, my beautiful then 19 year old boy, an alcoholic and cocaine addict. And oh yes - let's not forget the marijuana and all the other mind-altering substances. I spoke about the rampant stealing, lying and all the horrific behavior that ruined all of our lives for the previous six years. I had no hope. I was at the point that I had completely given up and believe me, that wasn't easy. Then one day, he was evicted from his apartment for non-payment of rent and we weren't there to bail him out. He wanted to come home and we said no. He begged us and we said, "We're sorry, son, you can't stay here anymore." This was the hardest thing my husband and I ever did in our lives. In the dead of winter, my son lived in his car, with no gas, no money and no food. His next phone call was to a rehab center.

Our son has now been sober for 10 months. He attends AA meetings faithfully, holds down 2 jobs and is one of the best people I have ever met in my life. I write this to let you know that if it can happen for us, it can happen for you. There's hope.
Thanks, we need to be reminded that doing the right thing by our addicts can be painful and scary for us, it's the only hope they have for recovery.