View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lostinabq

Thank you

Appreciate all of the insight....very much. I don't want to be 37 years of doing this, that is for sure. I am only 35 and started drinking more around 7 years ago when my mom died and I got divorced....started with the depression thing.

Over the past two years I have made progress in the area of heavy drinking I believe. I would love to have the option of being a social drinker, just *2* you know. I have quit the 'after work' meetings and rarely ever drink around my bf, which I am with 5 out of 7 days a week. So, in many ways I have cut back extensively. I would like to be a special occasion drinker only, thereby it doesn't affect my boyfriend very often, my health, or my self esteem.

Is it possibly to exercise self control on these extreme levels? Or will I always fall of the *occasional drinker* wagon and go back to my typical bottle of wine at a pop?

Have you ever known someone that had progressed to heavy drinking that cut back and actually maintained self control? Or is an alcoholic, an alcoholic, an alcoholic..... no gray lines?

MA