View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
walt55054life
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

I know the only way I can help some1 is sharing my OWN personal ES&H not by telling anyone what to do, but making suggestions about what I did.
For me I found a temporary sponsor my first week just some1 who raised their hand to be a TS and thought they look trustworthy, didn't nessasacrily like them but now I have a sponsor with whom I asked to be after having a few more 24 hrs.
I called my sponsor everyday(well almost everyday) so that those times when I need him because I was thinking about that next drink it was a helll of a lot easier to call him them. Boredom kicks in and they tell me that if I put as much time and effort into my recovery as my drinking that I might just have a chance. So I do that because I'm frightened of my next drink. When I'm bored there is something about my self or my situation I don't like so I need to either call my sponsor of go to a meeting to help me figure out what it is.
See this alcoholic couldn't only drink on the weekends! I tried! But it's like the more about alcoholism I tried many other ways to control my drinking as well and everytime it lead to a still worse relapse. My alcoholism is progressive and if I could control drinking on weekends it would eventually ened up everyday all day again.
I drank because I need to fit in, I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. Through working the step of AA I found out who I was and why I drank and today drinking is a choice in which one day at a time I choose not to drink. When I was actively drinking I didn't have a choice I thought the only was to met people was to drink and be merry but I wasn't merry I was trying to love other people when I couldn't love myself, then I found AA and these people loved me instead of these drinking buddies I met at the bar. I found true friend and true hope for a better way of life. I found people who listened to me complain when that's all I knew how to do!
SO keep coming back and if you read that names walt and i'm an alcoholic and u can message me if u need anything

ONe other thing "fake it til you make it" when I first showed up in the rooms I thought I would never fit in with people becasue I had what we call termenial uniqueness! After a few weeks of helping set up chairs and finding a sponsor and a home group and truley working that 1 step I found that the more I stuck around the more firsts I had in soberity. IE going to eat at the Ale Houzse and actually eating and not drinkg w/ people from my AA home group who I call family