View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Justme57

Hi there lost

Welcome to SR!

This is a great place to find friendship and support . You have made a great decision, but you need to want to do it for YOU!

About the " change in lifestyle" that you have seen mentioned , it is a fact , especially in early sobriety , you cannot keep doing what you do, and expect different results . I well know the feeling of not being able to " stop at 2 drinks " or 10 for that matter lol

I chose AA as my mode of recovery , and it is working for me , there i met new sober friends , and gained huge support . You might like to try a meeting or 2 and see what you think.

I too, live alone, and in some ways that made it easier for me , in some ways not . i do not have to worry about anyone bringing home booze, and I can stay here in SR as long as I like lol. but on the other hand , i had to learn to use the phone , to call AA friends when the going gets tough, or I get lonely .
I left my decision to quit a long time, i had been drinking for 37 years, and in the end , i was so isolated i had no friends to call, and drank alone , with the curtains closed . The only place I functioned was at work. it has made my recovery just that much harder ,, cos now i have to deal with developing new social skills as well.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and only gets worse , not better

Keep posting , I look forward to getting to know you

HUGX
Lee