View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I know for me I had to force myself to step out of my comfort zone and ask for help. I went to open discussion meetings and when asked for a topic, I put it out on the table, "need help and friends from AA to teach me how to socialize with you." I got a bunch of phone numbers and was told how to use them and ask for help. It took courage but I knew if I was going to not drink, I had to do it. I then started to pass my number out and said I would appreciate anyone calling me as I am not sure if I can muster the courage to call you, so please call me. It amazed me when I realized so many were as afraid as I was, at one time, but did it because they were more afraid of drinking. So it was stepping out of my comfort zone and going to any lengths for me. It worked, still sober today.
Terry it sounds to me as though you may have been blessed like I was in early sobriety with the "Gift Of Desperation'!!!!! I was desperate to stay sober when I went to AA straight out of detox, I was borderline insane wanting a drink, yet I wanted to not drink but I did not know how to not drink! I was DESPERATE!!!! I knew I could not stay sober alone! I went to an AA meeting, let it be known that I needed help, and I got help................. I was no longer ALONE in the battle! I had grizzled veterans who had found a solution to their alcoholism standing side by side with me showing me how they had got and stayed sober and were happy being sober!