View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kallista
Awaiting Email Confirmation

A standing appointment is an appointment that occurs every week on the same day, at the same time. It's not an AA term, really. It's a business term.

For you it could work like this: You find someone who agrees to go to a Friday night AA meeting with you and then go out to a coffee bar with you afterwards every week for three months. This might be a group of someones. In my first three years of sobriety, my home group met on Friday night and then we went to a diner and food afterwards. Afterwards, you go home and go to bed, without going to the liquor store or drinking.

You could also find someone (AA or non-AA) who would agree to go with you to a movie on Saturday nights every Saturday for three months. Afterwards, you go home and go to bed, without going to the liquor store or drinking.

You could also find someone who would agree to go to the gym with you every Sunday night every Sunday for three months. Or find a bowling league. Or a book club. Or a Bible study group. Or a knitting club. Or something like that. Afterwards, you go home and go to bed, without going to the liquor store or drinking.

Whatever it is, you clearly need 1)to get more social life and 2) to stay out of liquour stores. The exact details, you'll have to figure out for yourself.

I know that if you approached people in my AA home group and explained what you needed and what you wanted to do, they'd help you find people who could keep you active and out of bars for 3 to 6 months, at least.

If you can't ask people to do that, you could make your own plan that keeps you from sitting at home alone and from going to the liquor store. You could go to a bookstore or coffeehouse and hang out. You could find someplace to volunteer, like a hospital. You could go to the gym and work out. You could go the movies, or high school sporting events. Get out of the house. Don't go the liquor store. You'll start making friends when you become a regular somewhere.