View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lagrutke

Update on my 18 yo AS

My AS came home a week ago Monday from a 28 day rehab. He was doing well and saying all the right things. He was out looking for work, went to a meeting, helped around the house, etc. On Saturday evening, we started to notice some behaviors so when he got home by his 11 o'clock curfew, I asked him to take a drug test. When he came home from rehab, we had a list of boundaries. One of them was that drugs were unacceptable and that a test would be gven if we saw any addictive behaviors. He was in agreement with that and said it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, he stormed out of the house when I asked him to take a test. He obviously would not have been clean. If he was not clean, we would have asked him to leave and he knew this. I would have waited until the morning, but ultimately, he would have had to leave the house. I guess he didn't want to wait around for that.

He has been gone since Saturday night. We have not seen or heard from him since then. He has very little money, no job, no clothes. He left with nothing but his truck. I am sure he is over at a friend's house. I'm not sure how long they will put him up. When he has worn out his welcome at his friends' homes, I expect we will hear from him. I turned off his cell phone that we were paying for. I have a list of phone numbers for him for shelters and the Salvation Army Rehab.

I sure hope he reaches his bottom soon. I am no longer cushioning him. I'm trying to do my part in helping him seek recovery by not supporting his using. I don't want to abandon him. I want to support any recovery efforts. I would let him come back home if I knew he was trying to seek recovery; however, I can't trust anything he says at this time. Only actions, but actions take time. I am worried that because he is only 18 he doesn't have the maturity or knowledge to find help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am holding up pretty well. I went to my first Al-anon meeting last night. I do understand that I am powerless. I can only hope that he comes to his senses.

Thanks for listening,
Kathy