View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JustMeWondering

Not Sure What My Boundaries Are...

Ok, so my husband is in the military, soon to get out (3 months). The problem is now he drinks a lot in my eyes, I mean at least 2 forties of beer a night, at least 3/4 times a week. He has a high tolerance from being in the military for so long, and drinking so much over the years, however this is enough to give him at least a buzz and as I try to tell him "change who he is".
I grew up with an alcoholic father and as a result I'm worried that I may just be too hurt from him to view my husband's drinking objectively. We've been married for a year and a half now, are both still young, and we don't have any kids. His points are that we are still young and I shouldn't try to take his fun away, and that everyone else does the same as him (although they don't, not even close). I think he's just making excuses for himself, convincing himself.
The majority of the time when he drinks we end up in a fight, and I just don't want to live like this anymore. He knows how much it bothers me, yet still drinks. His claim is he's not perfect and neither am I (and I will admit my faults and am trying to work on them--cleaning)
Anyways, I'm not sure if he's an alcoholic, however I don't like how much he drinks and what it is doing to my feelings and our relationship. I want to talk to him about it, but I don't know the best way to start the conversation, what to say, and where to draw the line. I don't want to be unfair and tell him he can't drink anymore, but I'm not sure if I need to draw that harsh line in order to solve our problems.
Any help/advice?