Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

Welcome. Please keep posting and reading. I encourage you to focus on you. You cannot change your husband. He is an addict. He is an alcoholic. He is doing exactly what he wants to do and you have no control over it. He may be "giving" you the illusion of control. But don't be fooled. He choses when he gets high and drunk. Not you.

Do you have any boundaries about the kind of behavior you are willing to accept in your life? What are the consequences if someone violates those boundaries?

I have learned that as long as I set boundaries with my childs best interest in heart, I rarely go wrong. For me, it was in my childs best interest not to force him to grow up in a house with an active addict. I want my child to grow up with positive adult role models. Not drug users. Not people who drink and drive. Not emotional abusers. I can try help my child become the person his father is not. I cannot help his father. He is an adult. He makes his own choices. I want my son to learn that his fathers choice to use drugs and alcohol, and break the law, will not be tolerated in our house.