View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
darkplace

Taking son to rehab

Well, I finally got my 17 yr old to go to rehab. They wouldn't take him inpatient, I tried almost 2 mths ago. He isn't "physically addicted" to any one drug, like heroin or meth. He does just about anything & everything else to get a high. This includes alcohol, pot, cocaine (history of, don't know if still does it), salvia, lsd, shrooms, skittles, & kids' prescriptions at school of things like Xanax & Percoset! He scared himself (& me) the other night when he came home high on Xanax & it took 2 days to get over it. He's not sure how much he took but he actually snorted at least one capsule!! It was the 1st time I saw him high. He had always waited til he knew for sure I was in bed to come home. Oftentimes hiding in the basement or at "friends" places, & at least once he was passed out on the lawn but was woken before I woke up. The kid takes advantage of my deep sleep. :-** Anyhow, he lost his job a few weeks ago & then he confessed the prescription drug abuse to me so I said "this is the time to start rehab then! No excuses!" & he agreed. So I'll be taking him to outpatient rehab 3x/wk for 6 wks, it's a 2 hour rehab group & I have to miss one hour of work each time b/c it's 45 minutes away! Thank God my boss & co-workers are so supportive! And thank God gas is down $, let's hope it stays that way! I sooooo hope my son makes this work. He wants to quit, he just is sooo addicted to the high! I really think there's mental illness involved as well, b/c I've been trying to get him help since he was 10 but the mental health field is so difficult to find help when they can't even see through a kid's charm & deceptions! It's so frustrating. On his dad's dad's side of the family every single person has a mental illness! My son does have anxiety & ocd issues, he does take a medication for it that helps a bit. So my son may be self-medicating w/ the substance abuse. After this is all resolved then we can figure out the mental issues. I know I'm rambling but it's late & I wanted to post. Thanks everyone soooo much!