Taking son to rehab

Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking son to rehab

Well, I finally got my 17 yr old to go to rehab. They wouldn't take him inpatient, I tried almost 2 mths ago. He isn't "physically addicted" to any one drug, like heroin or meth. He does just about anything & everything else to get a high. This includes alcohol, pot, cocaine (history of, don't know if still does it), salvia, lsd, shrooms, skittles, & kids' prescriptions at school of things like Xanax & Percoset! He scared himself (& me) the other night when he came home high on Xanax & it took 2 days to get over it. He's not sure how much he took but he actually snorted at least one capsule!! It was the 1st time I saw him high. He had always waited til he knew for sure I was in bed to come home. Oftentimes hiding in the basement or at "friends" places, & at least once he was passed out on the lawn but was woken before I woke up. The kid takes advantage of my deep sleep. :-** Anyhow, he lost his job a few weeks ago & then he confessed the prescription drug abuse to me so I said "this is the time to start rehab then! No excuses!" & he agreed. So I'll be taking him to outpatient rehab 3x/wk for 6 wks, it's a 2 hour rehab group & I have to miss one hour of work each time b/c it's 45 minutes away! Thank God my boss & co-workers are so supportive! And thank God gas is down $, let's hope it stays that way! I sooooo hope my son makes this work. He wants to quit, he just is sooo addicted to the high! I really think there's mental illness involved as well, b/c I've been trying to get him help since he was 10 but the mental health field is so difficult to find help when they can't even see through a kid's charm & deceptions! It's so frustrating. On his dad's dad's side of the family every single person has a mental illness! My son does have anxiety & ocd issues, he does take a medication for it that helps a bit. So my son may be self-medicating w/ the substance abuse. After this is all resolved then we can figure out the mental issues. I know I'm rambling but it's late & I wanted to post. Thanks everyone soooo much!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((darkplace)))

I'm glad he is willing to get help and you were able to find him help. I'm glad you also realize that the addiction needs to be dealt with before they can accurately diagnose a mental illness since addiction can mimic mental illness.

Keep us posted.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am glad he is seeking help too and my prayers go out that this will lead him to a better path.

He's lucky you will help him get there. Helping them when they are helping themselves is supportive and encouraging.

Hugs
Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Darkplace,
Happy to hear he agrees to go to rehab, maybe while there some doors will open and he can find some help for his other issues.

I was always a deep sleeper too. My oldest AS, when he was a teen, use to walk out of the house in the middle of the night and I never heard him....(I guess he was stealthy...)

Hugs to you, and prayers for you, and your son....
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
krhea75

I have been where you are...too many times. WE tried the outpatient route at first too, but my son needed more time and serious counseling. He did go in for inpatient at least 5 or 6 times. I've lost count and is still butting his head against a wall. Tomorrow he goes to county jail for violating his probation. I hope your son is really ready to stop. That is what makes the difference. mine never was and still isn't. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Hang in there, from one mom to another.
krhea