View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dean62
Adjusting my Sails

Alcohol and benzo's work on the same part of the brain which is why benzo's are used for alcohol detox. They are both very good anti anxiety medications.........in moderation. I'm speaking from personal experience from years of benzo/alcohol abuse as well as what doctors have told me. Eventually alcohol not only stopped working but began to make my anxiety worse. When stopping either one my anxiety and panic attacks became worse during detox stage (72 hours). You should talk to your doctor for sure. I can't imagine your doctor stopping your xanax prescription when he knows your body is dependent on them.

One thing to note here. Benzo's and alcohol are a very dangerous combination. Your heart can stop and you will die if you are not careful. Ask your doctor about it.

Medication is only half the treatment for anxiety. Do you also have a therapist?. I used to have panic attacks on and off all day everyday. I no longer take medication and I don't have problems with anxiety anymore. I understand what you are going through but you do have to go through it at some point. If you don't now it will only get worse and harder in the future. I'm not trying to scare you. For some of us it has to get worse before we are willing to stay sober. It takes what it takes.

If you have had enough and don't think you can stand it getting worse then I agree with you. I think it is time.