View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sunflower1776

Oh Brother--I just read briefly through what you dealing with in regards to your sister, and I have just one suggestion--do not get her on methadone! I am a drug addict-opiates as well-and there is a medication called suboxone out that is better than methadone in that it is non-addictive. Methadone is a very highly addictive drug and you can end up swapping one addiction for another. Also, it is more discreet-you do not need to go to a meth clinic daily. The suboxone doctor, after making sure you have safely detoxed, gives you the first dose (which dissolvs under your tongue) then will want to see you a few time a week for 2 weeks usually--after that it is once a month. If she has insurance, most insurance companies pay for the pills, othewise it is expensive $250-400/month. However, you do not need to go to a detox center as suboxone is started as soon as the person is in mild-moderate withdrawal--the ddrug stops the withdrawal symptoms and takes away the cravings. By the 2nd dose (sometimes the first dose) the person starts to feel better. Please go to NAABT.org and read through their literature on suboxone (also called buprenorphine (sp?)) They also have forums like this one on that site for people strictly on suboxoene. They are my "home" group but I like to come over to this site to read as well. But, it migt help to have her read some of our posts and experiences with suboxone. I have never been on methadone but by reading those forums, I have heard nothing but hellish stories, so please be careful! Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information. I hope everything goes well no matter what direction you take.

One other quick thing--if you go to NAABT.org and are interested in looking into suboxone, there is a patient/doctor matching link that will give you a list of certified doctors who can prescrib it in your area. Doctors have to be certified to prescribe suboxone. Also, like you said in your post about the rehab you were looking at have a specific doctor for addiction, I agree with that. My suboxone doctor is an addictionologist and specializes in bipolar as well (my other problem). I do recommend finding an addictionologist and not just a psychiatrist.

Last edited by sunflower1776; 10-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.