View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Hi WitchKings, welcome to SR.

Assuming that you want to stop drinking, I strongly urge you to see a doctor as soon as possible; it is possible to withdraw from alcohol safely under a doctor's supervision. You should definitely not undertake withdrawal on your own, as doing so can be very dangerous.

Like Rusty said, be 100% honest with your health care provider - alcohol addiction is nothing to be ashamed of, and your doctor should be able to handle the situation accordingly. Simply follow his/her instructions; monitored withdrawal can be slightly uncomfortable but it's very doable.

After detoxing safely, you will probably need additional support to mantain sobriety. Check out the different programs available to you, such as AA or SMART. Reaching out for help is the best way to approach addiction.

Admitting that you have a problem is a huge positive step in the right direction: congratulations There is a lot of support and encouragement available to you in these forums if you decide to stick around.

Originally Posted by witchkings View Post
There is no meaning to my life.
Very sorry you feel this way right now. Though this may not be the time to start a philosophical debate, rest reassured that, should you choose to focus on a sober life, you should be able to find new meaning. My opinion is that life is a gift, and that it's our responsibility to find *personal* meaning to make it worthwhile.

Good luck, hope to hear from you soon Please be safe.