View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
marle

The trouble with doing things for her is then she does not have to do those things herself. My daughter is my addict, her drug is opiates. She recently met a really understanding guy and I warned him to be very, very careful. You see addicts will always look for nice people to enable them and it sounds like your sister has one with her boyfriend and possibly one with you too. The problem with enabling an addict is that they never have to take responsibility for their actions. Someone is always there who is willing to clean up the mess for them. It sounds like you have gone the extra mile in being supportive of your sister and so has her boyfriend. I think he is wise to consider getting out now and saving himself. Addiction is progressive and things always get a lot worse until the addict themselves want help. Your sister is saying the right things to keep you hooked. Addicts are extremely good at manipulation and making you feel sorry for them. What helps with a normal person is actually hurting the addict more. You can love your sister but you can't keep her clean. Checking up on her, trying to involve her with life will only lead to frustration and resentment for you. She will continue to do what she wants to do and that is to use. Only when she has experienced the full consequences of her behavior will she maybe make the choice to quit. Some addicts never do and we can't know which ones will make it and which ones won't. That is why it is so important to learn everything that you can about addiction and then take the steps to help yourself. Learn to detach from her problems and give her to her HP. If there are Ala-non or Nar-anon meetings close to you, give them a try. And lastly welcome to SR. Lots of good people here with lots of good experience. Hugs, Marle