Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi luvbug! Welocme!
I just wanted to say that working Step 4 is a tough one (I am 5 months sober and currently working on step 4) and it brings up a lot of old stuff. Ugh. It is unpleasant for me and has caused some moods that I have had to apologize or ask for patience for from my husband. I personally can not imagine being in a new relationship during this stage in my recovery. Often sponsors recommend that someone not start a relationship until they are a year sober or have completed the steps, whichever comes last.

So, since you are already in a relationship
My advice is to be as supportive as you can and know that he is not going to be his regular self during this time of self inventory. There is going to be some ups and downs while he gets through this and it is goiing to be all about him and not much about the relationship for a bit. Be as supportive as you can. And if you are interested in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic, it would be best fpr you to educate yourself on this disease and your healthiest options in living with an alcoholic in your life.
Best of luck to you both! :ghug2